On Wednesday this week I was invited to attend the launch of the new Ola Magnum Pink and Black range consisting of the Pink Pomegranate and Black Espresso ice-creams. For those that know me, you can guess, they had me at Magnum.
Cape Town’s Shimmy Beach Club near the V&A Waterfront was the venue for the launch and I was super excited to see Shimmy Beach Club because word on the Street, even here in the Boland is that Shimmy is THE place to be seen.
Suffice is to say then that when I arrived, quite punctually I must add, I had high expectations. And Shimmey Beach Club did not disappoint. Glamorous and opulent, Shimmey Beach Club, like a gracious hostess dressed herself according to the invitation’s Pink and Black dress code. The invited guests were a combination of media, well known food bloggers, a few celebrities like Cindy Nel, Gareth Cliff, Bonang Matheba, Trevor Gumbi, Jeannie D, Janez and then of course there was also, well me.
From Pomegranate and Espresso cocktails and manicures for all the ladies, to the platters of finger snacks and endless supply of Magnum Pink and Black ice-creams, it was a most entertaining afternoon.
Part of this exciting launch was a preview of the first ever nationwide Twitter Auction event scheduled for Saturday 23 November. This big event will be taking place at Sandton City on 23 November, where ten luxury spoils voted for by Magnum’s Facebook fans will be auctioned off every 15 minutes.
Look at these 10 amazing prizes which will go on Twitter Auction:
- Le Creuset Hamper #PinkLeCreuset
- Pink Scooter #PinkScooter
- Apple Hamper #PinkAppleHamper
- Lunch with a Celebrity #PinkCelebrityLunch
- Shoe Voucher #PinkShoeVoucher
- Espresso Machine #BlackEspressoMachine
- Samsung 60” 3D LED TV #BlackFlatScreenTV
- DSLR Camera #BlackDSLRCamera
- Ferrari track day #BlackDrivingFerrari
- Handbag voucher #BlackBag
I tried my best to win the gorgeous Pink Hamper on auction, but sadly my fingers could just not Tweet fast enough. If you think you have what it takes to win these fabulous prizes, you need to know this:
- You must Follow @MagnumSA on Twitter.
- Go and view the in-mall installations in Canal Walk (5-10 November), Gateway Mall (12-17 November)
- and Sandton City (19-24 November) which will showcase the prizes/auction items and explain the registration and auction mechanism.
- The live Twitter Auction will take place on 23 November and tweets/bids can be made from anywhere in the country (Full auction may also be viewed on the Magnum SA Facebook page and website)
- Each item is available for 15 minutes.
- Select an item.
- Use the selected item’s hashtag for that item and tweet as fast as you can.
- The person who sends in the most tweet bids for that item, in the prescribed 15 minutes wins the prize.
- Watch out for my Twitter handle @pomegrantedays, because I am practicing superfast tweeting and by month end I will be bidding with tweets like a pro..
Now I had actually been invited to attend this event in order to act as one of the judges in a “Dessert-Off” which took place during the afternoon between two Cape Town culinary schools; Capsicum Culinary Studio and The International Hotel School. I knew that there would be other judges, but what I did not realize until I arrived is that the other two judges were in fact Kamini Pather, she of MasterChef SA 2013 fame, and Jeannie D, she of Top Billing.
Do you have any idea what it feels like to stand alongside these two very glam women? It feels a bit like you are Fat Amy, that’s what. Let me tell you girls one thing, there is a lot to be said for taking the time to build a great self-esteem, another reason I just love being 40!
Anyway, Louboutins and Louis Vuitton handbags aside, the students, a frightfully nervous looking bunch were required to make creative and tasty dishes using the Magnum Pink Pomegranate and Black Espresso ice-creams. To even the odds, each team was joined by a celebrity – comedian Trevor Gumbi offered his culinary skills to the Pink Team and 5FM breakfast DJ, Gareth Cliff lent himself to the Black Team.
In about forty minutes both teams were able to produce desserts which showed courage and their developing culinary skills. All contestants were awarded a Pink or Black Le Creuset Coffee Plunger and a case of Magnum Pink and Black ice-creams.
On may way out I was given the most awesome goodie bag which included, Essie Nail polish, Rimmel Mascara, new sunnies, a Billabong travel wallet, a Typo notepad, Elizabeth Arden 8 hour cream, macaroons, sweeties and much to the delight of Pretty Girl a pink feather boa. You may now consider this house appropriately ready for glam!
Have a fabulous weekend friends of Pomegranate Days and in the words of Fat Amy, “You guys are the best. Even though some of you are pretty thin, I think that you all have fat hearts. And that is what matters.”
PS A quick shout out to Saadiyah from Marcus Brewster, thank you for hosting me lovely!
For more Magnum updates follow: