I have a bucket list. Not the things to do before I die kind, but rather the things to cook and bake before I die or lose interest kind. Friands have been on that list for the longest time. Drum roll…today we are checking that one off.
Do you know how easy these Strawberry Friands are to make? So, so simple. Really. Had I bothered to take the time to read through a friand recipe before now, I would have whipped up these beauties ages ago. Anyway, c’est la vie.
So, what is this friand that looks not unlike a muffin you may ask?
Well, friands are teeny little cakes recognizable by their oval shape originating in France. The recipe uses ground almonds and melted butter, icing sugar and egg whites instead of whole eggs together with very little flour, which results in an airy and light yet great nutty texture.
Friand baking pans are available pretty much everywhere. I bet you have actually even seen them, but have never known what to do with them, or perhaps even asked yourself why anyone would want such an odd shaped cupcake.
This friand recipe is really versatile. I chose to make Strawberry Friands because lush strawberries are in season right now. I refuse to buy strawberries out of our local season, so the kiddos are in heaven. Handsome in particular is on a personal mission to eat his own body weight in strawberries before the season is over. You could try blueberries, raspberries, poppyseeds, lemon, almond or even coconut.
Now, I made these Strawberry Friands with the idea of using them to celebrate the birthday I quietly enjoyed over this past weekend. I say quietly because I was not in my usual birthday frame of mind this year. Pretty Girl has fractured her arm, Dear Husband has been away on business and we have some soft renovations going on in the house. Instead of hosting a birthday tea party, I had an overwhelming desire for peace and quiet. (The kiddos did however enjoy these in their lunchboxes).
I am led to believe that the French word friand means either “dainty” or “fond of” as in ‘I am fond of a dainty Strawberry Friand’.
Yes, I certainly am.
- 375 ml (1 ½ C) icing sugar
- 125 ml ( ½ C) cake flour
- 6 egg whites
- 185 g butter, melted
- 315 ml (1 ¼ C) ground almonds
- 150 g fresh strawberries, washed and thinly sliced
- Sift together the icing sugar and the cake flour.
- Place the egg whites in a clean medium bowl.
- Whisk lightly.
- Add the melted butter, sifted dry ingredients and the ground almonds.
- Stir lightly until the mixture is combined.
- Spoon the mixture into a friand baking pan that has been sprayed with non-stick spray.
- Arrange the sliced strawberries on top of the friand mixture.
- Bake in an oven preheated to 180˚C for 20 minutes or until the friands are well risen and lightly golden.
- Leave to stand in the pan for five minutes, and then transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- If desired, dust with icing sugar before serving.