2015! It’s here ready or not!
Ah Friends of Pomegranate Days, how I have missed you. It has been five glorious weeks since we last visited and the days have passed, as holiday days always seem to, in a perfunctory blink of an eye.
We banked so many fabulous memories over these past few weeks that our hearts are still running over; full of the love that comes from the unexpected joy of reconnecting with family from over- the- seas. Watching our kiddos instantly adore these many new cousins from abroad was a particularly special privilege, and not one that we took for granted.
Cape Town the Beautiful was particularly generous with her weather over the past few weeks and we were able to avail ourselves of the Mother City’s magnificence daily. It is a unique experience to see Cape Town through the eyes of those who have never seen it before. Dear Husband and I were proud to show off all our most favourite places (and all the must see touristy ones too). So much so that in this month’s Newsletter, I am going to give you the “Taylor Family Favourite Places to Visit in Cape Town List”, for the next time you are in town. (Sign up page bottom ASAP if you don’t want to miss it.)
For us, life around here is hastening back to normality. Pretty Girl has crossed the threshold into senior primary and has bounced through her first few days of grade 4, loving pretty much everything about being back to school. My sweet Handsome has started at his new pre-primary with slightly less enthusiasm, and we are really trusting that he is going to settle soon and make some fun little friends. Dear Husband has started his own New Year refreshed and amped for what is going to be an ardently busy and defining year for him. Together we have adopted the “Great Year Regardless” motto for our little family and plan to rise up to meet every day with a spectacularly good attitude.
On the blog this year, we will be doing what we all love to do best – eating well. I have some great ideas lined up to inspire you in the kitchen and I am looking forward to us all getting our hands dirty with some new culinary challenges.
For today though, we are kicking off the year with something a little sweet and delicious inspired by the sheer quantity of ice-creams consumed by my kiddos over the holidays. This Maltesers Ice-cream is no churn and simple to put together. It is a romantic marriage of my two favourites; ice cream and chocolate. If you agree that you should start how you mean to finish, this sweet beginning can only lead to an equally sweet ending!
A toast then to 2015 – May it bring you nothing but the best of the best.
- 750 ml (3 C) cream
- 1 vanilla pod, seeds scraped
- 4 egg yolks
- 15 ml (1 T) custard powder
- 65 ml (¼ C) sugar
- 2 x 120 g bags of Maltesers
- In a medium saucepan heat 500 ml (2 C) of the cream and the vanilla seeds.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the egg yolks, custard powder and sugar.
- Pour the hot cream over the egg yolk mixture, whisking well to blend.
- Strain the custard back in the saucepan.
- Over medium heat whisk the custard until it thickens.
- Whip the remaining 250 ml (1 C) of cream to soft peak and then fold into the cooled custard.
- Take one bag of Maltesers and crush roughly with the back of a wooden spoon. Stir the crumbled Maltesers into the custard.
- Pour the custard into a freezer safe container and freeze until firm.
- To serve, turn out the ice cream about 15 minutes before serving. Decorate using the second bag of Maltesers.