For many it is back to school today, which after the Easter holidays comes as something of a relief. Not that sending my beautiful children back to a world of inspiration and learning under the close supervision of someone that is not me should be cause for relief, but rather, because it means that we can return to our regular eating habits with immediate effect.
We hosted family for the duration of the Easter break as we celebrated the very exciting wedding of one of my younger cousins. [If you follow me on Instagram you may have seen the wedding cake I made as well as some other wedding pics from the big day.]
With a house full of people and all the family get-togethers you would expect during Wedding Week, we unintentionally engaged full throttle Feast mode for days. We have been eating out and eating in. Every day has been marked by an abundance of food; barrels and barrels of delicious food. Add to that the Easter Rabbit Hop thru’ and to say that this has not exactly been the House of Health would be a kind and generous assessment.
Today’s recipe for this Bulgur Wheat & Lentil Bowl is exactly what my body is craving. This salad bowl is fresh and nourishing, simple but generous in flavour. It is an abundant bowl of earthy goodness which can cut right through all the rich extravagance of over indulgence.
This salad is also the one that is most often prepared by Pretty Girl. She loves making this salad, I think mainly because she gets to chop a whole bunch of stuff up and doesn’t need to follow a recipe. Neither do you really.
Use the bulgur wheat, lentils and the dressing as your base and then just add more or less of whatever you like; use what is fresh and on hand in the fridge. It really is that easy. Pretty Girl has even added leftover roast chicken to this salad which was a very welcoming dinner one hot summer’s evening.
Undressed this salad also keeps really well and somewhere in the middle of term when I start to run out of sandwich and wrap combinations, I pack it in the kiddos’ lunchboxes with a little dressing on the side. The lentils and hummus dressing provide good protein which keeps tums full.
Here is to term two then Friends, may the odds be ever in your favour.
- 250 ml (1 C) bulgur wheat
- 1 x 410 g can lentils, drained
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- ½ cucumber, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 200 g cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 125 ml (½ C) mixed fresh mint, Italian Parsley and Basil, finely chopped
- 200 g feta cheese, cubed
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 125 ml (½ C) ready-made hummus
- 30 ml (2 T) olive oil
- 15-30 ml (1 – 2 T) warm water
- Wash the bulgur wheat in several changes of water until the water runs clear.
- Place into a bowl and cover the bulgur wheat in fresh cold water and allow it to soak for about an hour until soft.
- Drain the bulgur wheat through a clean tea towel; squeeze the tea towel to remove all the water.
- Place the bulgur wheat in a large bowl.
- Add the lentils, red onion, cucumber, carrots, cherry tomatoes and mixed herbs and stir to mix.
- Add the feta.
- Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper and lemon juice.
- To make the dressing, stir the olive oil into the hummus and add enough of the warm water to adjust the consistency and make it pourable.
- Check the seasoning.
- To serve, pour the hummus dressing over the salad and toss to mix.
- This recipe for a Bulgur Wheat & Lentil Bowl is fresh and nourishing, simple but generous in flavour. It is an abundant bowl of earthy goodness great for lunch, an easy dinner or as a perfect lunchbox meal idea.