When you have been married for a while, and most especially if you have added kiddos and a cross country move or two to the mix you start to need another kitchen tea.
All those pretty new things you received as a blushing bride are now, after more than a decade of matrimony, well used, broken or weirdly lost. You can be guaranteed of having no full sets of anything. Mugs without chips, owning six full crockery place settings, not having to borrow champagne glasses from your neighbor for book club, table cloths without red wine stains; what madness is this you speak of?
That shabby chic rage, the mix and match trend? It was developed by a woman who had been married for over ten years, who lived with two kiddos and had friends with a tendency to smash wine glasses at every visit.
So this year, I have decided to petition sweet Father Christmas to add a few new and sparkly things to my kitchen. To make things easier for the old chap I have curated a most inspiring 14 Gifts For The Cook list.
It goes without saying that this Christmas gift list was compiled exclusively with me in mind, but I do think it would be equally well suited to anyone with a love of cooking and pretty things.
So these gifts are the real BUGET BUSTERS!! I should probaly be saving my hard earned cash to buy these beauties for myself, teach myself the value of hard work etc. But, my Father Christmas belongs to a world that is magical and where impossible dreams do come true, so who knows, maybe I have just been awfully all round great this year. If you buy any of these for your Cook – they will love you in that fabulous completely based on material goods kind of way.
1. The KitchenAid Artisan and Heavy Duty Stand Mixer Ice Cream Attachment, 1.8 litres retails on YuppieChef for R1995.00. A hefty tag but this is really a gift for the whole family because who doesn’t love homemade ice cream?
2. The KitchenAid Chopper retails on YuppieChef for R1,490. I cannot count all the ways this little neat compact machine could work in my kitchen. Almond Cream or White please!
3. The Le Creuset Batter Bowl retails on YuppieChef for R450. You all know my love of Le Creuset runs deep. I have always wanted one of these, but have always passed it over for something more practical. Christmas is for frivolity.
4.The Le Creuset Stoneware Classic Teapot retails on Yuppie Chef for R440. My current tea pot status is “has no lid” so this is really more of an essential gift. Teapots in Carribean Blue make me feel happy.
Do I really need to explain books? Books, especially cookbooks are one of my most favourite things to give, but rarely something I receive, and I am not sure why. I adore my cookbooks, even those I have never made a single dish from. Books are long lasting gifts for me, I read them over and over again. Now Dear Husband has cooked Bill Granger for months so we really need an injection of fresh recipes into our collection. These are a just few cookbooks on my current wish list.
5. A Bird in the Hand: Diana Henry R458
6. The Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook: Tarek Malouf R406
7. Cooked: Michael Pollan R246
8. Simply Nigella: Nigella Lawson R330
9. Annie Bell’s Baking Bible: Annie Bell R268
10.The Recipe Writers Handbook: Barbara Gibbs Ostmann, Jane Baker R320
Summertime and the living is easy. Who doesnt love new pretty things for outside entertaining when that is where you spend most of your down time when the weather is good?
11. Poetry stores have just the loveliest things and their homeware is no exception. Remember how earlier we spoke about mismatched glassware? I love these Leela Tall Tumblers which retail at R40 each at Poetry. Father Christmas, I need like 8. Okay, actually 10 if we count inevitable breakages.
12. If I have pretty new tumblers I will need a pretty new jug to match. The Phillipa Glass Jug retails at R250, also from Poetry.
13. Oh my hat! The home section of the new H&M at the waterfront is going to be the death of me. Its gorgeous! A quality and affordable home section which is a must visit. Their online shop is not yet active, so you will have to get there. (Sorry Durban). This Conscious Cotton Tablecloth 145 x 200 retails at R299.
14. How gorgeous are these Copper Coated Measuring Cups from @home? They retail for just R169.00 so basically its a stocking filler.
I actually love Christmas shopping. Choosing what you hope is the perfect gift for others is my favorite part of the holidays. This “14 Gifts for the Cook” gift idea list is the perfect gift selection for anyone who loves their kitchen and cooking it.
What are you hoping to get from Father Christmas this year? Let me know in the comments.